Verse of the Day

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Answers to Questions

The Catechism of the Couplets of Christ [1]
Questions:
“How can He be both the Alpha and the Omega?”
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is,
and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
(Rev. 1:8)
Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest,
write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus,
and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis,
and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
(Rev. 1:11)
And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
(Rev. 21:6)
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
(Rev. 22:13)
“How can He be both the Beginning and the End?”
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is,
and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
(Rev. 1:8)
And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
(Rev. 21:6)
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
(Rev. 22:13)
“How can He be both the First and the Last?”
Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning?
I the Lord, the first, and with the last; I am he.
(Is. 41:4)
Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts;
I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
(Is. 44:6)
Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first,
I also am the last.
(Is. 48:12)
Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest,
write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus,
and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis,
and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
(Rev. 1:11)
And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
(Rev. 1:17)
And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;
(Rev. 2:8)
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
(Rev. 22:13)
“How can He be both God and Man?”
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory,
the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
(Jn. 1:14)
And when the centurion, which stood over against him, saw that he so cried out,
and gave up the ghost, he said, Truly this man was the Son of God.
(Mk. 15:39)
“How can He be both Sovereign and Servant?”
Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
(Is. 42:1)
[18] Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles. [19] He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets. [20] A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.
(Mt. 12:18-20)
[5] Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: [6] Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: [7] But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
(Phil. 2:5-7)
“How can He be both the Lion and the Lamb?”
[5] And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. [6] And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. [7] And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne. [8] And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. [9] And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; [10] And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth. [11] And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; [12] Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. [13] And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. [14] And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.
(Rev. 5:5-14)
“How can He be both the Author and the Finisher?”
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;
who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,
despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
(Heb. 12:2)
“How can He be both Mercy and Truth?”
Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
(Ps. 85:10)
“How can He be both Righteousness and Peace?”
Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
(Ps. 85:10)
But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom,
and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
(1 Cor. 1:30)
“How can He be both Grace and Truth?”
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
(Jn. 1:17)
“How can he be both the High Priest and the Sacrifice?”
Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
(Heb. 7:27)
But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever,
sat down on the right hand of God;
(Heb. 10:12)
“How can He be both the Covenant and the Mediator of the Covenant?”
I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand,
and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
(Is. 42:6)
Thus saith the Lord, In an acceptable time have I heard thee,
and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee,
and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth,
to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;
(Is. 49:8)
Answer:
The answer to all of the above is:
“Because of who He is! Solo Christo! He alone can be both because of who He is!”
the mystery of Christ (Eph. 3:3-4; Col. 4:3)
the mystery of the gospel (Eph. 6:19)
the mystery of the faith (1 Tim. 3:9)
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. (1 Tim. 3:16)

Non nobis, non nobis, Domine,
sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Soli Deo gloria!

John T. "Jack" Jeffery
Pastor, Wayside Gospel Chapel
Greentown, PA

14-21 APR 2010

The Catechism of the Couplets of Christ
by John T. Jeffery

Copyright 2010 by John T. Jeffery.
All rights reserved.
The use of excerpts or reproduction of this material is prohibited
without written permission from the author.

Contact the author at:
722 South Main Ave.
Scranton, PA 18504
Home phone:  (570) 342-5787



[1] This began as a response to the following question posted to the Sound of Grace email list at soundofgrace@welovegod.org, Wednesday, April 14, 2010 12:01 PM, Subject: RE: Eternal Covenant,
...how can Christ both be THE covenant and be the mediator of the NC, and how can the NC be IN His blood (sign of the NC) and be the NC, and how can He be the testator of the NC AND be the NC?

No comments: