Verse of the Day

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Three Other Crucifixions of Galatians

Introduction:

The Crucifixion of Christ

Galatians 3:1 –
O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

The Crucifixion of the Two Thieves

Matthew 27:38 –
Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left.

Mark 15:32 –
Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.

Luke 23:33 –
And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.

John 19:18 –
Where they crucified him, and two others with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.


1. The Crucifixion of the Christian - Galatians 2:20

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Notice that the verb in this case is passive. The subject is unexpressed.

Notice also that in this case alone of “the three other crucifixions” do we find that which is crucified surviving on the other side of the tomb in resurrection. That is not true of either of the next two crucifixions.


2. The Crucifixion of the Flesh - Galatians 5:24

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Cp. Romans 6:6 - Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Notice the subject in this case is the Christian – the Christian is the Crucifier.


3. The Crucifixion of the World - Galatians 6:14

But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Notice the difference here – the subject is Christ – He is the Crucifier in this case.

Notice also that three crucifixions are mentioned in this verse:

1) that of Christ - the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
2) that of the world - by whom the world is crucified unto me,
3) and that of the Christian - and I unto the world.

Sola Scriptura, Solo Christo, Soli Deo Gloria,

John T. "Jack" Jeffery
Pastor, Wayside Gospel Chapel
Greentown, PA

6 JUL 2010

No comments: