Verse of the Day

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pastor's Sermon Notes: Five Words You Must Understand (series), Part 18, "Ye Have Not Chosen Me" (John 15:16)

Sermon Series:  Five Words You Must Understand

1 Corinthians 14:19
Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Part Eighteen:  John 15:16
“Ye have not chosen me.”


Introduction:

On the old Daniels and Webster program on ROCK107 we often heard from one Walter Nepasky.  He would begin his commentary with either, “I'm Walter Nepasky and today I wanna talk about three things.”, or “Hi. My name is Walter Nepasky. How you doin? Today I want to talk to you about tree tings.”

What if we had a modern Christian radio station (“The Rock of Ages 316”) with a program that began, “Hi, I’m Paul of Tarsus, and today I want to talk about five words.”

1 Corinthians 14:19 - Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding,
that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Here Paul follows up his extreme personal example with an extreme preference framed as a mathematical proportion: 5 versus 10,000. This is Paul’s “druthers”!  This is when 5 is better than 10,000!

If Paul were here, and you could pin him down to a literal selection of five words, what do you think he would choose?  “Gimme Five Paul!”

Would Paul have a list, and include in it these words: “Ye have not chosen me”?

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Here are “Five Words” that you need to understand!  “Ye have not chosen me”.

Outline:

I.  The Interpretation of the Five Words - The Negative Statement - The Repudiation of Man-Centered Soteriology
II.  The Exposition of the Five Words - The Positive Counterpart - The Assertion of Christ-Centered Election
III.  The Application of the Five Words - The Compound Benediction - The Implications of Christ-Centered Ordination

Transition:  Here we are in the very midst of one of the great Gospel discourses by our Lord commonly referred to as “The Upper Room Discourse” which encompasses chapters 13-17 in the Gospel of John. 

There are some propositions that can both be held as true, and thus they fit the paradigm “both/and”.  However, there are certain propositions asserted in the Scriptures that necessarily negate others. Both are not and cannot be true.  When Christ uses the negative we must not turn that into a positive no matter how it may offend our pride or sensibilities.  If we hear His words, and have assumed otherwise we must bow before Him, and receive the correction of His Words as truth.  It cannot be otherwise.  We cannot have it both ways. This is very much an “either/or” proposition that involves an explicit assertion of who is sovereign in the salvation of members of the human race.

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

I.  The Interpretation of the Five Words - The Negative Statement - The Repudiation of Man-Centered Soteriology

Ye have not chosen me

1.  These five words are commonly denied by those who should know better, and, indeed, the opposite is explicitly affirmed in direct contradiction of Christ’s words here!

“15:16 You did not choose me does not negate the disciples’ willing decision to follow Jesus when he called them. Jesus is emphasizing that the ultimate factor in determining who would follow him was Jesus’ own choice.”

Source:  Andreas J. Kostenberger, ESV Study Bible (Wheaton: Crossway, 2008), pg. 2056.

 “Jesus does not mean that his disciples exercised no will of their own; they did choose to follow Him.  Rather, He is indicating that the first initiative, the original and saving choice, was His.  Had He not chosen them, they would not have chosen Him. The immediate reference is to service as apostles, but the principle applies to many other matters including election to salvation (Eph. 1:4, 11).”

Source:  New Geneva Study Bible, eds. Luder Whitlock, Jr., R. C. Sproul, Bruce Waltke, Moises Silva, James Boice, Edmund Clowney, Roger Nicole, J. I. Packer, William B. Evans, John Mason (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1995), pg. 1694, s.v. note, “15:16 You did not choose me, but I chose you.”

Some would even go so far as to limit the import of these words to merely the disciples then present in the Upper Room to whom this discourse was spoken.  I would be very, very careful about taking such a route to evade the import of these words!  If the words of “The Upper Room Discourse” here only apply to the disciples, then what about the rest of chapters 13-17?  Who would be willing to yield any connection to chapters 14 or 16?  Be very careful in trying to escape the eternal consequences of these five words that you do not back yourself into a hermeneutical corner that you cannot live with! The cure for such “hyper-historicism” when handling Scripture passages purported to be “merely historical” is and has always been the truth of 2 Timothy 3:16, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness”.

2.  These five words stand as an explicit denial of synergism.

3.  These five words must be understood as the consistent consequence of total depravity.

 “’Tis not that I did choose Thee, For Lord, that could not be;
This heart would still refuse Thee, hadst Thou not chosen me”

Source: Josiah Conder (1836), Trinity Hymnal (Philadelphia: Great Commission Publications, 1961), #96.

4.  These five words spell the end of human boasting and pride in the beginning and end of man’s salvation!

II.  The Exposition of the Five Words - The Positive Counterpart - The Assertion of Christ-Centered Election

but I have chosen you

1.  This is the declaration of monergism.

2.  This is the proclamation of absolute sovereignty.  No notion of a conditional election may be entertained in the face of the negative repudiation coupled with the positive assertion found in Christ’s words here.  Any possibility of a conditional basis for Christ’s election of His people is by these words dashed on the Rock of our Salvation.

3.  The consequence of this assertion is that “free grace” is a redundant expression, as is “sovereign grace”. 

4.  The beginning of grace is here traced to the will of God which is therefore to be viewed as the fount from which all goodness flows!

“I know not why God’s wondrous grace To me He hath made known,
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love Redeemed me for His own.”

“I know not how this saving faith To me He did impart,
Nor how believing in His word  Wrought peace within my heart.”

“I know not how the Spirit moves, Convincing men of sin,
Revealing Jesus through the Word, Creating faith in Him.”

Source:  Daniel W. Whittle, “I Know Whom I Have Believed” (1883), Living Hymns, ed. Alfred B. Smith (Montrose, PA: Encore Publications, Inc., 1972), #531.

“Hail, sovereign love, that first began The scheme to rescue fallen man!
Hail, matchless, free, eternal grace, That gave my soul a hiding-place!

Against the God who rules the sky I fought with hand uplifted high;
Despised the mention of his grace, Too proud to seek a hiding-place.

But thus the eternal counsel ran: “Almighty love, arrest that man!”
I felt the arrows of distress, And found I had no hiding-place.”

Source:  Jehoida Brewer, “Hail, sovereign love”, Gospel Magazine (OCT 1776); A Selection of Hymns for Public Worship, by William Gadsby (London: Gospel Standard Publications, 1987), pg. 113-114, hymn #134.

III.  The Application of the Five Words - The Compound Benediction - The Implications of Christ-Centered Ordination

and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Nor does He merely initiate our salvation and leave the results up to us as in some deistic conception.  Indeed, He ensures the application and the final results in His ordination of them which is inextricably coupled to His sovereign election of His People.

This is the end of the grace of God which flows from the fountain of His will unto eternity!

1.  Ordained to go
2.  Ordained to bear fruit
3.  Ordained to bear lasting fruit
4.  Ordained to have all requests in Christ’s Name granted by the Father

What more could we ask?

“Chosen not for good in me,
Wakened up from wrath to flee,
Hidden in the Savior’s side,
By the Spirit sanctified,
Teach me, Lord, on earth to show,
By my love, how much I owe.”

Source: Robert Murray M’Cheyne, “I am Debtor”, Scottish Christian Herald (20 MAY 1837), vs. 6; Hymns of Truth and Praise (Belle Chasse, LA: Truth and Praise, Inc., 1971), #474, vs. 4; Hymns of Worship and Remembrance (Belle Chasse, LA: Truth and Praise, Inc., 1950), #223, vs. 4; and Choice Hymns of the Faith (Belle Chasse, LA: Truth and Praise, Inc., n.d.), #429, vs. 4.

“Sometimes it’s good to be reminded that while we want our doctrine to be biblical, doctrine isn’t what saves us from sin and misery.  We don’t have faith in our doctrine; the object of saving faith is Christ alone.  Unfortunately, even good doctrine can become an idol, as Lloyd-Jones notes here:

“Let me put it plainly, I will not make my boast, I will not glory, even in my orthodoxy, for even that can be a snare if I make a god of it.  I will glory only in that Blessed Person himself by whom this great thing has been done, with whom I died, with whom I have been buried, with whom I am dead to sin and alive unto God, with whom I have risen, with whom I am seated in the heavenly places, by whom and by whom alone the world is crucified unto me and I am crucified unto the world.  Anything that wants to come into the center instead of him, anything that wants to add itself on to him, I shall reject.  Knowing the apostolic message concerning Jesus Christ in all its directness, its simplicity and its glory, God forbid that any one of us should add anything to it.  Let us rejoice in him in all his fullness, and in him alone.”

Source: David Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure, pg. 189; cited by Shane Lems, “Not Boasting In My Orthodoxy” (2 MAY 2014), on The Reformed Reader at http://reformedreader.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/not-boasting-in-my-orthodoxy/ [accessed 2 MAY 2014].

Conclusion:

Here are “Five Words” that you need to understand!  Ye have not chosen me.

There are some propositions that can both be held as true, and thus they fit the paradigm “both/and”.  However, there are certain propositions asserted in the Scriptures that necessarily negate others. Both are not and cannot be true.  When Christ uses the negative we must not turn that into a positive no matter how it may offend our pride or sensibilities.  If we hear His words, and have assumed otherwise we must bow before Him, and receive the correction of His Words as truth.  It cannot be otherwise.  We cannot have it both ways. This is very much an “either/or” proposition that involves an explicit assertion of who is sovereign in the salvation of members of the human race.

“We’re your treasured people because you chose to make us your treasure. We’re not a choice people; we’re a chosen people. Apart from the gospel we’d still be rebelling against you and trying our best to ignore you."

Source:  Scotty Smith, "A Prayer for Remembering Why God Loves Us" (28 APR 2014), on The Gospel Coalition at  http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/scottysmith/2014/04/28/a-prayer-for-remembering-why-god-loves-us-2/ [accessed 28 APR 2014].

[Sermon preached 4 MAY 2014 by Pastor John T. “Jack” Jeffery at Wayside Gospel Chapel, Greentown, PA.]

No comments: