Verse of the Day

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Pastor's Sermon Notes: Ecclesiastes (series), #3 - Been There. Done That. (Ecclesiastes 2:1-11)

Series: Ecclesiastes
Sermon #3: Been There. Done That.
Ecclesiastes 2:1-11



1 I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth, therefore enjoy pleasure: and, behold, this also is vanity. 2 I said of laughter, It is mad: and of mirth, What doeth it? 3 I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men, which they should do under the heaven all the days of their life. 4 I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards: 5 I made me gardens and orchards, and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits: 6 I made me pools of water, to water therewith the wood that bringeth forth trees: 7 I got me servants and maidens, and had servants born in my house; also I had great possessions of great and small cattle above all that were in Jerusalem before me: 8 I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I gat me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts. 9 So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me. 10 And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy; for my heart rejoiced in all my labour: and this was my portion of all my labour. 11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.

Introduction:

Correction from last week’s sermon:

The double introduction that I mentioned last week as 1:3-11 and 1:12-18 is actually contained within 1:12-18.
On this see especially Walter C. Kaiser, Jr., Ecclesiastes: Total Life, in Everyman’s Bible Commentary (Chicago: Moody Press, 1979), pg. 52.

Outline:

I. What the Preacher Purposed (2:1-3)
II. What the Preacher Accomplished (2:4-8)
III. What the Preacher Gained (2:9-10)
IV. What the Preacher Concluded (2:11)

Transition:

Reminder about the relative significance of the “hook” in 1:2

The connections between this section and the Prologue in 1:3-11

The key lies at the end, not at the door!
Cp. the conclusion of this section in 2:24-26.
On this see especially Walter C. Kaiser, Jr., Ecclesiastes: Total Life, in Everyman’s Bible Commentary (Chicago: Moody Press, 1979), pp. 43-47.

The verses we are to consider are loaded with first person personal pronouns including subjective, objective and possessive forms.

I. What the Preacher Purposed (2:1-3)

1 I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth, therefore enjoy pleasure: and, behold, this also is vanity. 2 I said of laughter, It is mad: and of mirth, What doeth it? 3 I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men, which they should do under the heaven all the days of their life.

1. I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth, therefore enjoy pleasure: and, behold, this also is vanity.

2:1 is the summary statement introducing the next ten verses

monologue: cp. Ps. 42:5, 11; 43:5; Lk. 12:19
On this see Walter C. Kaiser, Jr., Ecclesiastes: Total Life, in Everyman’s Bible Commentary (Chicago: Moody Press, 1979), pg. 55.

Cp. 1:16; 3:17, 18
Tremper Longman III, The Book of Ecclesiastes, New International Commentary on the Old Testament (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1997), pg. 83, s.v. 1:16.

2. I said of laughter, It is mad: and of mirth, What doeth it?

Toronto “Holy Laughter” Blessing/Revival?

“Holy laughter is a term used within charismatic Christianity that describes a religious behaviour in which individuals spontaneously laugh during church meetings. It began in the early 1990s in Neo-charismatic churches and the Third Wave of the Holy Spirit.
Practices similar to holy laughter were observed in the 1800s in Holiness Christian meetings on the American West. John Wesley encountered uncontrollable laughter in his meetings, but viewed it as an act of the devil. It also occurred in Signs and Wonders meetings run by John Wimber in the 1980s. The practice came to prominence in meetings led by the South African evangelist Rodney Howard-Browne in 1993 at the Carpenter's Home Church in Lakeland, Florida and was often accompanied by the "Slain in the Spirit" phenomena. The laughter ranges from very quiet to loud convulsive hysterics, which are said to be accompanied by temporary dissociation. It was also observed in meetings held at Oral Roberts University. The phenomena was then popularized by Charisma and the Trinity Broadcasting Network, and became controversial within charismatic Christianity.
Though primarily found in Protestant churches, it was observed in some parts of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, as well. The practice spread to the Association of Vineyard Churches, most notably to the Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship in 1994. Religious revival meetings at the church became very popular, drawing 75,000 visitors that year. Many attendees at the meetings spent time laughing loudly while lying on the floor.”

Source: Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_laughter [accessed 16 OCT 2015].

How about the “canned laughter” on television shows?

Are people laughing their way to eternal perdition?

Did you ever notice what the Yuppie generation finds hilarious on late night TV?
Is everything funny?
Is nothing sacred?
What do they take seriously?

Judge Bork’s title may be an underestimation of the current state of our nation!
Robert H. Bork, Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline (New York: ReganBooks, 1996).

They laughed at Jesus! Imagine that! Each of the Synoptic Gospels records an incident when “they laughed him to scorn.”

Mt. 9:24 (18-26) — He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.
Mk. 5:40 — And they laughed him to scorn. But when he had put them all out, he taketh the father and the mother of the damsel, and them that were with him, and entereth in where the damsel was lying.
Lk. 8:53 — And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead.

Who will be laughing when Jesus returns?

Lu:6:21: Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.
Lu:6:25: Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.

Jas:4:9: Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

He Who laughs last laughs best!

“He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.” (Ps. 2:4)

3. I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men, which they should do under the heaven all the days of their life.

“under the heaven”

II. What the Preacher Accomplished (2:4-8)

4 I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards: 5 I made me gardens and orchards, and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits: 6 I made me pools of water, to water therewith the wood that bringeth forth trees: 7 I got me servants and maidens, and had servants born in my house; also I had great possessions of great and small cattle above all that were in Jerusalem before me: 8 I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I gat me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts.

The Health and Wealth “gospel”?

6 I made me pools of water, to water therewith the wood that bringeth forth trees:

According to J. Stafford Wright the estimate of the capacity of these pools is 40,000,000 gallons.

“Three pools near Bethlehem are said to be constructed by him. They dam the Urtas Valley, and each of the first two can overflow into the pool below it. It is claimed that altogether these pools hold over forty million gallons.”

J. Stafford Wright, “Ecclesiastes,” in Psalms-Song of Songs, Vol. 5 of The Expositor's Bible Commentary, ed. Frank E. Gaebelein (Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 1991), pg. 1156.

However, based on the dimensions of these “pools” as reported by Kaiser their capacity would be more than double that amount. See Walter C. Kaiser, Jr., Ecclesiastes: Total Life, in Everyman’s Bible Commentary (Chicago: Moody Press, 1979), pp. 56-57.

Upper = 380’ long x 236’ wide x 25’ deep = 2,242,000 cubic feet = 16,771,325 gallons;
Middle = 423’ long x 250’ wide x 39’ deep = 4,124,250 cubic feet = 30,851,532 gallons;
Lower = 582’ long x 207’ wide x 50’ deep = 6,023,700 cubic feet = 45,060,405 gallons;
Total = 12,389,950 cubic feet = 92,683,262 gallons.

For purposes of comparison Olympic size pools measure:
50 metres long, 25 metres wide, and a minimum of 2 metres deep. (25m x 50m x 2m = 2,500m3; 1L = 0.001m3 so 2,500 x 1000 = 2,500,000L)
and contain 660,430 gallons of water (2,500,000 litres or 2.5 megalitres).

Length
50 m (164 ft 1 in)
Width
25 m (82 ft 0 in)
Depth
FR 2 Swimming Pools:
minimum 1.35 m (4 ft 5 in) between 1 m and 6 m from ends;
minimum of 1.0 m (3 ft 3 in) elsewhere
FR 3 Swimming Pools for Olympic Games and World Championships:
minimum 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in); recommended 3.0 m (9 ft 10 in)
Volume
Based on a nominal depth of 2 m, this is 2,500,000 L (550,000 imp gal; 660,000 US gal)
or, in terms of cubic volume, 2,500 m3 (88,000 cu ft), as is commonly quoted.

Source: Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic-size_swimming_pool [accessed 17 OCT 2015].

8 I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I gat me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts.

There is a translation issue with a hapax legomena in verse 8. This is a word found nowhere else in the Scriptures. Most modern translations include a note indicating that the meaning is either unknown or uncertain. The modern consensus seems to be that it should be rendered “concubines,” and comparison is made to 1 Kings 11:1-3 —

But king Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites;
Of the nations concerning which the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love.
And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart.

On the translation of this Hebrew word see the following:

William D. Barrick, Ecclesiastes: The Philippians of the Old Testament, Focus on the Bible series (Fearn, Ross-Shire, Scotland: Christian Focus, 2012), pp. 51-52;
Michael A. Eaton, Ecclesiastes: An Introduction and Commentary, Vol. 16, Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries (Downers Grove, IL: Inter-Varsity, 1983), pg. 79;
Duane A. Garrett, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Vol. 14, New American Commentary (Nashville: Broadman, 1993), pg. 292, note 40;
Tremper Longman III, The Book of Ecclesiastes, New International Commentary on the Old Testament (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1997), pg. 92;
Roland Edmund Murphy, Ecclesiastes, Vol. 23A, Word Biblical Commentary (Dallas: Word, 1992), pg. 17; and,
J. Stafford Wright, “Ecclesiastes,” in Psalms-Song of Songs, Vol. 5, Expositor's Bible Commentary, ed. Frank E. Gaebelein (Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 1991), pp. 1156-1157.

III. What the Preacher Gained (2:9-10)

9 So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me. 10 And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy; for my heart rejoiced in all my labour: and this was my portion of all my labour.

What is the difference between “portion” (2:10) and “profit” (2:11)?

IV. What the Preacher Concluded (2:11)

11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.

“vanity and vexation of spirit”

“no profit”

“under the sun”

Conclusion:

Where do folks go for meaning or profit or joy?
What does that get them?
How long has this been going on?
How is that working out for them?

You don’t have to!
You don’t have to go there!
You know better!
You don’t need to put it to the test!
You have God’s Word for it!

[Sermon preached 18 OCT 2015 by Pastor John T. “Jack” Jeffery at Wayside Gospel Chapel, Greentown, PA.]

No comments: